Hello there! Happy weekend! I have been fending for myself over here this weekend. Cameron had a chance to go hunting with his b/f and so I have been taking care of business around here all by myself.
It hasnt been too bad. I am still learning how to "balance" both little ones. There are some challenges, but we are all happy and the few growing pains we are experiencing I know will make us better individuals in the long run.
So, while I have been soaking up my babies and trying to keep everything running smoothly around here I am a bit behind on some posting.
One of the things I have wanted to share is Ally's blanket.
Before she was born I was constantly trying to come up with ways to include Weston on her birth. He loves to show Cameron pictures he colored during the day when he gets home and if I ask him to give something to someone he is so proud and always loves to do it.
So, I wanted to have a special little gift for him to bring to Ally in hopes he would feel included during her arrival and all the big hubbub. My first thought was a monkey like he loves SO MUCH, but she is one blessed little girl and already had three similar type stuffed animals to monkey. So I was a bit stumped. I took him to find her a pink tractor only to discover they dont make them ;) I thought it would be cute for them to each have a tractor to play with together.
I was stumped and then one morning he toted all his blankets into the living room like he does every morning and it hit me! He loves all his blankies as much as anything. His favorites are the fleece ones. He has four of them and if he can get his hands on all four of them they are all in his bed with him. It is really hard to steal them away from him to get them washed and they never get folded and put away.
Off to Target we went. And wouldnt you know it, he picked a white blanket. It was beautiful, but as a mom I instantly thought "mess". They made it in pink and purple too, but he wouldnt have anything to do with the pink and purple ones :)
As we were heading out of the baby isle to pay we saw some "monkeys" and he wanted them. I thougth uh-oh and asked him holding both the blankie and the monkey up and said, "do you want to give this to Ally or the blankie"? He grabbed the blanket and hugged it, so it seemed meant to be.
When we got home I decided we should wrap the present as well. So I got out some watercolors and let him paint a plain white bag for his sister. He had a ball painting the bag.
I know you will probably think I am crazy, but he worked so hard on it and I cant help but think he knew there was something special about it :)
Well, I would be lying if I told you it was the most special moment at the hospital when he presented it to Ally. We forgot about it and he didnt need anything to feel special or to help him get excited about her.
Once things settled down around here and everyone went home I got it out and started using it for Ally. He doesnt ever say anything about it, but he does love holding her when she is all wrapped up in it.
He has begged me everyday to let her lay on his little couch, so the other day I let him hold her on there.
It was a very proud moment. And even though neither one of them will ever remember this blanket I know it is special and I will probably keep it for her because it is "from him".
And like I said, you never know how much he understands. He loves her that is for sure, blanket or no blanket.
So, I guess my point is. I know he doesnt remember it and she definitley doesnt care about what blanket she is using, but someday maybe they will, and if they dont that is ok too.
Weston and I had a great time picking it out the week before she was born and painting the bag together.
Sometimes the biggest gift in what you give is just the time together preparing it or the time together using it.
Hope everyone had a great week!

No comments:
Post a Comment