We really wanted to seize this opportunity to take Weston tent camping for the first time. But after Cameron looked over the forecast for the week and Weston had just spent the previous week sick we decided that thirty degree night in a tent probably wouldnt be the best thing for his recovering respiratory system. We were very happy with our decision not to tent camp when it thunderstormed two nights and lightening struck just feet away from our cabin.
We still wanted to have somewhat of a camping experience, so we decided to stay in some primitive little cabins. By primitive I mean no running water, bring your own bedding and towels, that sort of thing.
I know there are girls who camp and then there are some (most) who dont or wont do it.
I love to camp, as in a tent.
When I first me Cameron his adventerous soul poured out immediately. He told me about hiking while he lived in Alberqerque the summer before we met and I thought it sounded lame.
And then we took a trip together to Glacier National Park in Montana that summer and an adventerous soul was born inside me as well.
On this past trip to Colorado I was looking for a place to brush my teeth and caught a whiff of someone, a family close by frying bacon and I was reminded of why I love camping so much.
You realize how little you need to make it. Your campfire is your entertainment. You cant beat the views and there are families all around just like you bonding by the same experience. The views are impeccable and cant be found from a motel balcony. You are forced to simplify and stop and enjoy some of the most amazing creations God layed out for us.
I made our coffee on a camp stove each morning. Weston bathed the same way he did last year on our mini vacation and at night we all huddled around our campfire and soaked up the mountain air.
It was the best.
Roastin marshmallows in our jammies and hiking boots, for the first time :)
Sometimes, it's ok to look back.
Especially when what you left behind is nothing but beautiful moutain topped skies and sweet memories.
We did a lot of driving. Eventually we had to make our way to Loveland, CO for a seminar with Cameron's work (the whole point of the trip, Weston and I were really just taggin a long).
One of our stops on the our longest day of driving; to let a very busy bodied little boy stretch his legs, was the Continental divide.
We had a really great experience with our half/way camping. I think Weston had more fun than anyone.
Everyone that walked by our sight was greeted with his big smile and a "hi".
He played with his black truck constantly and when it was time to go to bed I had to hide it on the top bunk and quickly distract him or he would look for it for HOURS.
Our last few nights we stayed right outside of Rocky Mountain National Park.
It was,
The highlight of the trip.
We pulled up to get our cabin and saw this on their registration sign :)
And everywhere you go in Colorado they have AMAZING hanging baskets.
I wanted to load six or so up and bring them home, but they would wilt once we hit the 104 degree Texas Line or get ate by the deer that keep making a midnight snack out of my flowers on our porch, so I just decided to enjoy them and leave them be :)
Most of the time we were up in the Mountains.
But one evening we toodled around Estes Park.
Neat little touristy town.
Cam and I typically dont like the touristy thing, but found ourselves doing more of those types of activities with a little guy in tow :)
After a big day of seeing the Rockies Bob and Tony's was welcomed with open arms!
It was the cutest little place and they had awesome pizza.
(he ate that whole piece)
In case you ever wonder, Weston no longer likes to get his picture taken. He wants down or out of the shot immediately. But he has taken and interest in taking pictures and demands the camera when I get it out to take a picture.
Here is one he took of his daddy.
I going to have to teach him to have more of a steady hand ;)
After dinner we walked around all the cute little shops, but didnt find a whole lot. I was hoping for a real treasure, but everything was pretty trendy or just junk ya know.
They did have a whole bunch of candy and ice cream shops :)
I wound up in here:
because of these:
But I ended up with a bag of candy instead. I had no idea how to share one of those apples with Weston and after he ate half of my candy bar the night before the little chocolate lover would no doubt want a bite.
I am loving sharing these pictures with ya'all, it is like reliving our whole vacation again.
Tomorrow I will be back with pictures of our train ride through the mountains with little man.
Love all the pictures!!! Looking like you guys had a great time! I missed you while you were gone ;o) Love reading your blog!
ReplyDelete~Nel
I agree with Nel, I missed you too!
ReplyDeleteWow, that first picture of beautiful, I love it! This looks like a vacation my little family would enjoy. You're little guy is growing up so much! Oh, side note, baby names! Are you keeping it a secret?! : )