Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Just takes one



This post has been turning in my head and heart for awhile now and it wont go away so I guess that means I should share it.

A few months ago I was talking on the phone to my best friend and I asked her about a new church she had been trying. She told me she wasnt going to that one anymore and started going back to her old church. When I asked her why she said " OH I dont know, I just feel so weird, nobody knows me and I feel so alone" and then she quickly added "but I guess you know how that feels"

Truth is, I have been the new girl a lot the past four years. I have walked into a handful of jobs in a strange city not knowing a soul and it can be quite hard. But the hardest thing to do is to walk into a church where no one knows you and no one knows you are coming.

I grew up in a church so I was quite comfortable with my home church, maybe a little too comfortable. After high school I started going to a bigger church with a youth and once again got very comfortable. In comfortable I mean I never ONCE put myself out there for a visitor. I didnt mean any harm I was just wrapped up in seeing my friends and family that I really didnt even notice if anyone was new or not.
 I think we are all guilty of this. And I never noticed it until I was the new girl and everyone else was too busy catching up with their friends to offer me a hello. Sometimes I would get discouraged and it would keep me from putting myself out there, but I have learned some very valuable lessons through experiencing this.

The biggest one being; It just takes one.

It just takes one step to walk in that door and try something that could forever benefit you, your family, your life and above all your God.

And same goes for the other side. It just takes one step...as in one hello, or one "you can sit here", or one smile at a girl who is leaving her baby in the nursery for the first time screaming and fighting back tears of her own.

It is so simple and can make the most absolute difference. I am not saying I am perfect at this now. I still get distracted by "me" and "mine" and forget to think about others, but my heart is forever changed and my eyes are opened to the importance of stepping out and taking that one step.

So, with that being said. A little over a month ago I sat at this same desk with so many butterflies in my stomach that I couldnt finish my coffee. I was worried, scared and the a little bit excited.

I prayed, I prayed so hard about everything I could think of to worry about.

I got dressed, prayed over my little guy, wrote down some directions and set out to take my first step.



And it has, without a doubt been one of the biggest blessings I have done for myself in a long time.

And wouldnt you know it, as hard as that step was, God had a sweet girl on the other side who took that first step too.

She showed my kindness and set my heart at ease at a place where I did not know a soul.

It was my first day at MOPS at our new church. Two days later I started my Bible study and the same sweet girl was there once again easing my heart along the way.


...
This week has been a doozie.

Weston has been sick which breaks my heart and my body and mind have been exhausted trying to keep up.

Today, I was thankful to get out and get some time to think and attend my Bible study; the one I took that first step for not so long ago.

I cant express how much of a blessing it was.

The women in our group are all different ages, have beautiful hearts and have one thing in common.

They love the Lord and are eagerly seeking Him in raising their children.

Today they wanted to honor our little Ally and our family.

They had a little breakfast and showered us with gifts.

In a week where I cant quite make sense of all my emotions and feel completely overwhelmed I cannot tell you how much their showering us touched my heart.

And I am reminded of how hard that step was, but I now can see first hand the blessings that will pour down if we trust the Lord and take those steps.

I hope you all are having a great week.

I am finding myself thankful amongst the chaos for so many things.

God is such a gifter, sometimes we just have to be the ones to step out there and recieve them.



 

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet that they gave you a shower! I go to a ladies small group with my church and LOVE it too! Each lady is such a blessing in different ways and are all so encouraging! I'm glad you are still finding the time to write, I love it! : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails