Hello there! Time for part three and I think this is my favorite...or at least parts of it.... (I know I said that yesterday, but I cant help it, I changed my mind :). Now that you have cleaned out and de-cluttered and rearranged using what you have and are on the hunt for a few pieces to add in I encourage you to:
"Fill your home with things you love"
This is my favorite wall in our home right now. Filled with things Weston made at church, his first finger painting and the sweetest picture he and daddy colored on Saturday morning.
This isn't all of his coloring's, I do save them all, but I picked a few of my favorites because this wall is small.
When I was in high school I worked at a little shop in my hometown and one of my friends encouraged me to only fill my home with things I love and not just a bunch of junk just to fill it up.
It took me a few years, but I am understanding that more and more.
I thought I would use and example from Ally's room again.
I absolutely love these shelves. They are filled with some of the most precious things, things that I really love of hers.
Her daddy's red cowboy boots, her birth announcement, a tea set from her grandma and Papa.
My favorite picture of her and I when I carried her.
A frame that I made and an A that I made for her.
A blue vase that held beautiful flowers for her when she was born.
A silver rattle that I bought for her when I was pregnant with her.
I try to be very purposeful with my purchases.
I am not the kind of mom that buys a lot of things when she is pregnant. I don't think there is anything wrong with a mom that does, it just isn't my style.
I have however bought them each a few special things and hopeful someday they mean something to them.
I think the hardest thing with decorating your home, at least for me is patience.
But I am learning that nobody said it had to be done tomorrow or right away.
You can take your time and save up for things you really want or just simply wait until you find the perfect sign for your home or your child's room
If it is your heart to make things for your home I encourage you to do so.
Usually it is cheaper and it is so much more special when something is made from the heart.
I have made a few things for each of my kids' rooms and I think it adds a special touch to each of them.
This is Weston's old Nursery. My how different his room looks now :)
I made he and Ally each a mobile to go over their cribs.
I also made the little plaque with his prints and verse.
He also has his daddies boots displayed as well as some special piggy banks that were give to him as a baby.
I hope these pictures help to explain what I am trying to say.
And I REALLY hope that my words really try to speak my heart.
I felt prompted to share this with ya'all in hopes that it would bless, and I really hope that it does so.
Anyway...
I wanted to share a few tips that I have learned about buying accessories for your home.
You may remember on our Christmas Home Tour a few years ago I purchased some new pillows and a cute little crate from Pottery Barn with a gift card my mom gave me?
Well, the crate was expensive so I got creative while in the store and ended up just buying the napkins that had the same print as the pillows I wanted and sewed them together to make the pillows.
I laid the napkins on the display pillow in the store and they are the EXACT SAME SIZE! I think the pillows were thirty dollars and the napkins were six dollars each.
See, you would never know the difference!
Now the pillows are on our rockers on the front porch.
Here are some of my favorite accessories that didn't cost much and I really love them and they have been so useful and have been in about every room in our home.
The first little accessory I wanted to share with you I have had for three years and are so cute. I use them to hold flowers all the time. They are holding the mums on my desk in the picture from the day before.
They are these little apple juice jars and I think they are so cute!
The little pails are from the dollar bin at Target, they have had crayons, plants, office supplies, and so much more in them.
I love these bowls, also from Target. I love having them in my kitchen. I bought them on clearance for under two dollars each and I love to put our fruit for the week in them. I also use them to hold our toppings for tacos or Chicken Tortilla soup.
These frames I bought at the kid second hand store. They were originally baby blue and yellow, but I covered them with a can of creamy white spray paint.
I bought three of these little baskets at the dollar store last spring and I love them. They have held my make-up, dryer sheets, the larger one is on my counter holding dish towels. For now, this one is holding some stationary. They were only a dollar a piece, except for the larger one, it was three, but super reasonable!
This bowl was from Anthropology and you have seen it all over the house too...Ally's room, on my shelf in the kitchen, but it currently holds my sponge above my kitchen sink.
I also wanted to share my all time favorite purchase from my friend Katy's store:
She has the best selection of topiary's and I have had this one all over the house and it just seems to fit perfectly everywhere.
She has great florals, my paper whites in the Christmas photo above are from her store as well as the arrangement on my front door!
And the last thing that I wanted to share with you about accessories that has really been neat for our family and been special with the few family's I have shared this idea with.
When we go on vacation I am always looking for a little "treasure" to take home with us, so when we look at it we remember that trip and how much fun we had.
When we went to Colorado last year Cameron and I each picked out one of these vintage looking post cards.
And the summer before that, when we went to Fredericksburg I bought a little wire basket that I just loved and now it holds books in Weston's room.
For some reason I like things better if they have a story behind them.
When you fill your home with things that you love you will be more content with how it looks and you will be less likely to have unnecessary clutter.
Well, that is about it for me for today! Hope you enjoyed.
Tomorrow I will be back with what I have learned to be the most important thing of all.
And then Friday we will be back to normal, just a view into our everyday life :)
Love it :) Accessorizing is probably my favorite part of keeping our home lovely. Especially when I can be thrifty and find things that mean something to us as a family. Thanks for sharing this :) I think I may be redecorating a bit today! God bless!!
ReplyDeleteOnce again love the post!!! I need to work on this around our house now too... since I have decluttered and just got the girls pictures taken - we will be rearranging because we have NONE of Miss Darby up yet!!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for tomorrow and I love seeing pics of yourhouse and your favorite things :o)
Can't wait to see you!!!
Love that anthro bowl! And the target bowls!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a SMART post from the budget wise shopping for your home to the desire to fill your home with things that are meaningful to your heart. You and I must shop in the same stores since we have so many things in common! I agree so much with using things for decor that reflect the people that live there...that is why I have such a hard time purchasing straight out art. I always want to use photographs instead.
ReplyDelete