Thursday, May 24, 2012

Loving Your Home {4}

Ok, so here we are to the final thought. This is the most important aspect and something that I am just learning. I feel very strongly in my heart about this and although I am just learning to do it I want to share this with you in hopes that it will bring blessings upon your life.


The last step is:

"Submit your home to the Lord"



We studied hospitality for a session at one of my bible studies this spring and we learned:

"The Greek words that have been translated hospitality in the New Testament mean, literally, "fond of guests", "lover of hospitality," and "to entertain strangers."

The question our teacher asked us regarding this definition was this:

"What do these definitions teach you about God's perspective of hospitality?"

I am not going to share all my answers, because I want to encourage you to think about what it means to you and your family personally, but

One of my answers was, "It shows love"

Have you ever been invited into someone's home and been cooked and cared for? If so, how did you feel when you left?

I bet you felt loved and refreshed, I always do.

I am learning of ways to use our home to love on people and show them hospitality.

One of my favorite ways is to cook for people and take them meals.

I love to have people over even if it is just for play dates.

I home is a very sacred and special place and our homes are gifts from our Lord, if in doubt take a mission trip to a third world country and you will see what a gift our homes are (and so much more). 

I never really thought of our home as a tool before, but they are. My hope and prayer is that, by sharing this you are encouraged to use your home to entertain in the name of the Lord and use it to bless people.



As I am stepping out into this territory I am seeing how important it is and it is such a blessing to those we have and to our families as well.

If this is something that you want to work into having your family do I encourage you to pray about it and ask God what hospitality looks like for you and your family.

I want to end by saying that I am not trying to condemn any of you or make you feel like you aren't doing enough. I wanted to share what I learned in hopes that it would encourage you to find peace in your home and use it to bless others and I hope that you have seen and felt that through my words.

If you and your family love to show hospitality in various ways I hope that you share different ways you do. It looks different for all of us, our hearts are all different.

Blessings to you all! I have enjoyed sharing with you so much and reading all your comments and emails. You are great encouragers and thank you for doing so as I shared my heart.


"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use WHATEVER gift he has received to SERVE OTHERS, faithfully administering God's grace in various forms. 1 Peter 4:9,10



6 comments:

  1. This series has been so encouraging me to me! At times I start to feel like our home is too small (with 7 people in it) to invite others over, but then I remember that it's not the amount of space I offer them that makes their visit enjoyable and refreshing, but the love that I offer them while they're there! Once again, thank you for your wise words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, so true! I think we all think things like that at times...too messy, too busy, but you are so write about that not being what matters! So glad you shared!
      xo
      Lyss

      Delete
  2. Loving this Lyss. And it reminds me that when I am content with our home and not all down about it, it is a much happier home. I am much more happy about it and love it a lot more!
    Thanks for the reminder :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can think of a few places I have been to that have definitely ministered to my heart and soul simply because of the hospitality and the peace I felt relaxing at that home. And some that are totally the opposite.

    Great points, Alyssa! I am excited to feel what hospitality feels like when we are home with God. I bet its WAY better than a few potted plants, cold ice teas, and pretty decorations, don't you? I cannot even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love having people over. My husband has a saying when people ask when they should come or what they should bring. We always try to take care of everything and make them feel as welcome as possible and he always says, 'Hey, we're pretty easy going". I love that. I think it makes our friends and family feel that they can relax and enjoy the time we spend together. And, I know that it is because God is present in our home. I am so amazed how alike the children of God are to one another :) Thanks again for your wise advice and thank you for sharing :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny God works in preparing our hearts. I had to share with you that last night we were able to invite a family of 6 over to our home for dinner. They came over and we grilled and played inside and out and had the best time together! Our home didn't feel too small at all (with 13 people in there)! We were able to love on them and even share about God's love with them. As I was falling asleep last night I thought about this post and was grateful that the Lord led you to write it for me before yesterday so I wasn't stressed about what was going on in my house, but was focused on the people that were there and the needs of their hearts. :0)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails