Friday, May 11, 2012




When I was a little girl I was always so embarrassed when people would tell me I looked or acted like my mom. For some reason I didn't want to be like her, I wanted to be like my daddy and for the most part my personality did resemble his the most, but every once in a while a little Tammy would get out. 

I think it is normal for little girls to not want to be like their mom. One of my nieces gets told that she is like my mom all the time and you can tell it embarrasses her as well. I think some of that has to do with my mom's personality she isn't the life of the party (that would be my dad) or a flashy dresser always sporting the new styles and dolled up. She is humble, somewhat quiet and and to me is the perfect example of being selfless. 



I know as a little girl those aren't always the cool traits, but the older I get the more I hope I am like my mom and I am no longer embarrassed by peoples words when they tell me I look, talk, and even walk like her. It is an honor. I am learning that in this life God wants us to be last, not first and to be serving others and while that may not be the coolest way to be to our world it is most honorable to our Lord. My mom is the most giving person I know and I treasure up my time with her now since it is just a few short visits a year because I cant get enough of her. Her wisdom and demeanor make me want to be a better mom, make me want to serve others, and it makes me want to be more like her.


I know when I moved to Texas it was one of the hardest days of her life, but the next time I saw her she had reached down in her heart somewhere and found strength to move on. When we talked on the phone she didnt cry and her sadness grew to joy for Cameron and I as we started to make our new life together. Instead of being selfish she became supportive and instead of being my mom she became also my best friend. She learned how to embrace an empty nest and completely enjoys her new season of life. Some days I will say something to Weston and I think its her speaking for a minute and instead of hating it I am comforted to think that I may be mothering like her.
 I am starting to get it... 

When I was pregnant with Weston she wanted to be here so bad for his birth and living thirteen hours away I just thought she was crazy to think she could even make it, 
but she did. 
My meek and humble mother seemed so bold boarding a plane at the sign of the first contraction and rolled into the hospital just as I began to push. 
She was there. 


She made it and now that I have babies of my own I know what the wanting to be there feeling is like. Just wanting to be there for one of the biggest days of their life and thirteen hours cant even stop a momma on a mission. 


And then when I had Ally everyone thought she was crazy flying in the week before she was born. Everyone (including myself) kept telling her it was too risky...she may miss the whole thing. But there was not stopping this momma's heart, she just wanted to be here. She just wanted for us to not worry about where Weston would go and that week ended up being some of the best memories I have with my mom. This past visit Ally was throwing up from an intolerance to rice and when she finally settled in I looked at my mom relieved and said "I love my babies" and she said "I do too". 


It's funny how things change :) My embarrassment has turned into so many different feelings for my mom and one that comes to mind is respect. Cameron always say she is the BEST mother in law and when I think about why he would say that I understand why. She respects him so much and she never questions his authority over our family. Someday when I am a mother in law I pray I remember her way even though it is a hard one. You see, she never thinks about herself she is always thinking of us. Even though she may want to call everyday when she gets home from work she doesn't because she knows Cameron is getting home and that is my first priority. Sometimes I am sure she would like to stay a week and a half but she is always conscious about over stepping her bounds. She never complains or pouts when we stop and see Cameron's family first and may not see her for a day when we go to Missouri. She doesn't have expectations for me or my family, she is just happy to have us even if it is for a little while.
 She has let me go. 
She has let me be a mother and I know she is my biggest supporter, but she does it by prayer and by heart. She has let me fly.



For mother's day I thought I would ask her a favor. I know, I am such a sweet daughter right ;)

I asked her to write a little ditty on her take on mothering four unique but very different kids. Three of them boys, one of them a girl, one that she did  not carry for nine months, but adopted at ten months of life and every one of us a challenge at one time or another I am sure.

If you know my mom, this is way out of her comfort zone, but she did it and my hope is that is some way her words bless you this Mother's Day. 


Being a Mom of four grown children ages 32, 27, 25, and 21 I sometimes wonder where did the time go?

Some of the happiest memories that come to my mind were when we were all at home just spending time together as a family. Like when we were all six sitting around the supper table and after prayer the kids rushing to be the first one to say GOOD SUPPER MOM! Or all of us playing ball out in front of the big barn on a summer evening.
Our walks to the creek and summer vacations in the pool diving for pennies, watching our kids make friends with the other kids who wanted to join in on our family fun.
I'll always cherish those years.
Seeing my children grow up were some of the happiest days of my life.
One of the bittersweet memories I have tucked away in my heart for each one was when the day came to let them go. If there's one thing I hope you take with you from reading this today is....as you go through your busy daily activities of raising your own children, remind yourself to enjoy every minute because they do grow up so fast.
One of my favorite Quotes is

"A memory is a photograph taken by the heart to make a special moment last forever."

It's been Three years since our youngest left home.
Mike and I are in a new season of life. We just recently celebrated our Anniversary of 33 years. I remember my Mother-in-law always telling us how important it was to keep the spark in our marriage going. She was right and I'm so glad we did!
I still enjoy going on dates with this boy I fell in Love with in Study hall, "My sweetie."And I have to say It's even better the second time around.
Today our family has grown from the two of us to seventeen. One of the fond memories I have about my Grandma was her saying
"Just look at what we got started"


Happy Mother's Day!





Thanks MOM! Love you! Happy Mother's Day! 



1 comment:

  1. 2 BEAUTIFUL woman!!! I love you both so very much and your mommy is a very special lady in my life as well!
    Love you girls and can't wait to see you in a couple weeks!!!

    Hope you have an amazing Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails